SDSU Improves Technology

Denise Watt

Denise Watt

From free wireless to a new student Web site, technology changes have been more frequent than spam in your junk mail.

One new item for students, MyStateOnline, will feature links many students already use, such as WebCT.

“It’s a central area where all students can go to,” said Patricia Edler, chief information technology office program assistant. “It’s really like their one-stop shop for anything related to student life,” she said. “It’s in its infancy, but all the groundwork pieces are there.”

Development of the site began last year, and testing occurred last spring, Edler said. Changes will continue as more features are added to the site.

MyStateOnline will provide access to iTunes University. “We would like to see podcasting happen by spring semester,” Edler said. “We’re trying to generate interest among the faculty.”

Students can access the new site at http://mystateonline.sdstate.edu. Username is your WebAdvisor login ID, and password is $ and your student ID number.

Students now have access to free wireless Internet, or open-wire, in several locations on campus, including: the library and the Union, Medary and Larson commons, dorm lobbies and common or lobby areas in Crothers Engineering Hall, Dairy Microbiology building, Northern Plains Biostress Lab and Yeager Hall. Limited bandwidth in these locations may affect speed, depending on the number of users, Edler said.

People need to remember that access is Internet access only, and not secure, she said. Students should make sure to update their anti-virus software. In addition, students can now check out laptops from the Info Exchange for use in the Union.

In addition to the routine upgrade of computer labs during the summer, a new group computer lab was constructed in the library, room 105, Edler said. This lab features pods, or seating for students working on group projects.

The eSDSU laptop program has moved to a new location, next to Info Exchange in the Union. The move will provide more opportunities for students to try technology hands-on, Edler said. “That way, they can kind of test it out before they buy.”

The program has expanded hours for those looking for support from Gateway and Apple certified technicians, Edler said. New hours are: Mondays through Thursdays, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Fridays, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

#1.884424:1222874824.jpg:facebook03_tc.jpg:Technology is penetrating the campus through innovations such as wireless internet.:Ty Carlson