Stress tips revealed

Erin Schaller

Erin Schaller

Headaches, muscle aches, stomach aches and fatigue are all common symptoms of a well-known condition- stress. Stress is often misdiagnosed and disregarded because it’s common among students today. However, stress can have some serious mental and physical consequences if not treated properly.

Symptoms of stress result in everything from well-known indicators to conditions as serious as insomnia and high blood pressure. (Symptoms provided by www.mayoclinic.com)

Also, “poor health conditions can be significantly worsened by the result of stress. A person can be more susceptible to anything from the common cold to STDs,” said Julie Cameron, a nursing practitioner at the Brookings Sioux Valley Clinic. “I can’t emphasize enough the importance of regular exercise.”

Cameron said that exercise and a healthy diet, low in caffeine and carbohydrates, will help in preventing the concerns of stress.

Carrie Bauman, captain of the SDSU cheerleading squad and a sophomore early childhood education major, deals with stressors every day. She said she finds it helpful to be involved with a sport.

“Practice relieves my stress. I can come and do what I like to do and take a break from everything.”

When asked what would be a recommendation to students dealing with stress, Bauman recommended getting organized and managing time wisely.

Brenda Andersen, a nurse practitioner and associate director of SDSU Student Health, agrees. She said prioritizing can be a big help with relieving stress.

Andersen listed five ways she felt were most effective for students dealing with stress.

1. Take time for yourself. Take deep breaths and relax.

2. Eat healthy.

3. Get plenty of sleep. This is very important in student performance and health.

4. Exercise.

5. Talk to someone. Keeping healthy relationships can help. We all deal with stressors; having someone to talk to can help relieve some worries.

Andersen also informs students that the health center is always open to help.

“We’re here to keep kids in school. We want to keep them healthy, both physically and mentally.”

Student Health is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in West Hall. Students can stop by for medical help or just someone to talk to.

Although stress has immediate negative effects, it can also have its positive ones.

Brian Mahaffy, a senior psychology major, said stress can be beneficial.

“Stress can help students realize what needs to get done and do it,” Mahaffy said.

He recommended eliminating procrastination to help reduce stress.

He does note that extended amounts of stress can be problematic, affecting students’ learning and sleep behaviors.

“Talk to your teachers. They are there to help you learn, and they can help you deal with deadlines and assignments that may be giving you trouble.”

In the end, it is important to realize stress plays an important role in everyday life and, if not handled properly, can take its toll.

#1.884282:2412802794.JPG:Health01.JPG:A great way to help prevent stress is regular exercise. If the HPER’s treadmills aren’t your thing, walking through campus is a great alternative.:Erin Lester