Battle of the Bands at SDSU

Jenna Mann

Jenna Mann

Some of the hottest bands on the underground scene are coming to SDSU in support of a campus organization.

The SDSU Journalism Club is sponsoring a Battle of the Bands, Sept. 21 in the Volstorff Ballroom, located in The Union. The event will feature six alternative rock groups, including The Glass Atlantic, Post Moritz, Of Kings and Presidents, Damn Strait, The Poppets and Pub Radio.

The event will help the club raise money to take various trips to conferences and visit different media outlets across the country.

Jena Rabenhorst, vice-president of the Journalism Club, said the event is a really cheap way to check out some local music.

The club was able to use personal networking to create a jam-packed lineup. TJ Wethington, bass player for The Glass Atlantic, said that he’s heard all of the bands playing perform and all are “phenomenal.”

Many students are already excited about the Battle of the Bands. Lacey Kraemer, a sophomore consumer affairs major, and Angi Napier, a sophomore accounting and business major, both saw The Glass Atlantic last year at the Main Street Pub and are very excited to see them again.

The opportunity to see live music is some students’ incentive to attend the event.

“I haven’t heard of any of the six bands performing, but I plan to go and have a good time anyway,” said Chelsey Meyerink, a sophomore health promotions major.

The doors open at 6:30 p.m., with the bands hitting the stage at 7 p.m. The cost is only $5. Along with the live performances, door prizes and band merchandise will be available.