Newman Center theft nets electronics, games

Julie Frank

Julie Frank

Unknown suspects broke into and stole items from Pius XII Newman Center during the early morning of Wednesday, Feb. 21.

The theft occurred between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., according to the Rev. Paul Rutten, who has been at the Newman Center for three years. A PlayStation 2, Xbox, 12 games and a student’s laptop were stolen.

“It does not make sense,” Rutten said, because the Newman Center welcomes all students to use its facilities and has not had anything stolen in a “long time.”

The suspect is figured to be familiar with the Newman Center because the game consoles were located in the basement. The Newman Center secures its valuables and library at night.

The doors of the Newman Center remain unlocked throughout the night so students can come and go as they please.

“We were responsible with our stuff, it was the lack of responsibility on their part,” said Shane Deranleau, a range science senior who was shocked and upset by the event.

Other students were shaken by the event, including Wendy Weber a junior dairy microbiology student who uses the center to do homework and socialize.

“It is a home away from home,” she said. “We are a community … things stolen from here affect everyone not just the owners.”

The University Police Department is conducting an ongoing investigation about the event, Chief Tim Heaton said.

He described the occurrence as uncommon on campus. Even though the Newman Center leaves its doors open, “it should not have a security risk” because it is a place of worship, he said.

The Newman Center is not going to replace the stolen game consoles. Its doors still remain open for all students.

If anyone has information about the theft, please contact the UPD at 688-5117.