Godfather’s Pizza closes its doors, disappoints hungry students

Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

Freshman Brendan Smith was shocked to hear the news that his favorite pizza place closed last week.

“What? That’s ridiculous. That’s where half my money goes,” said Smith, an electrical engineering technology major.

On Friday, April 6, Godfather’s closed for business.

Pizza Ranch owner Kip Pharis bought the building from Steve Clark, who owned the Brookings restaurant.

According to Pharis, “Godfather’s was a struggling business. This deal was a win-win opportunity.”

Pharis said he plans to create a “steak and sports restaurant with flat panel TVs.

“It will be sleek and cool. A place you will want to be seen at. It will be upscale from Applebee’s and will complement Brookings.”

He added that he is looking for input from the community and students.

“I don’t know about that idea. We don’t need any more bars here,” said Hillary Greenough, a freshman journalism major.

“They had superb pizza. I am disappointed that it is closed because we ordered there a lot.”

The restaurant will be a “green” one, Pharis said. This means that it will serve “healthy foods that are fresh and high-end.” It will also be a smoke-free atmosphere.

Even with a new place to eat, Christina Gerometta, a freshman pre-pharmacy major, said she was angry the restaurant closed its doors.

“I’m from Michigan and we didn’t have a Godfather’s,” she said. “I loved how big their pizza was. It was really good and affordable.”

#1.883560:2914980932.jpg:godfathers.jn.jpg:Godfather’s Pizza sits vacant after the business closed on April 6 to be replaced by a ‘steak and sports restaurant.’: