FACE-OFF: The Women’s basketball team shouldn’t practice against men?

Ariy-El Boynton

Ariy-El Boynton

I am sorry to say this, but I disagree with the Senior Contributing Writer, Mr. Kriens. After looking at both sides, I agree with NCAA’s Committee on Women’s Athletics side. While a little radical, I believe it is valid. The CWA, on more than one occasion, has tried to ban men from practicing with women in all sports. The CWA claims that men on the playing court hinders opportunities for women.

The Committee uses the law on their side; males helping females “violates the spirit of gender equity and Title IX” and “to have talented, capable female student-athletes stand on the sidelines during official practice while the team’s starters practice against ‘more talented men’ is a lost opportunity.”

I do not believe it is right that the first team of any women’s team play the stronger, faster and more aggressive male players while the rest of the team watches. These scholarship players earn the spot in order to get better, and the male students are not on scholarship.

While my experience on the matter is limited, I understand that most high-profile athletes love to go against someone other than their teammates, but what about those teammates? A freshman walk-on guard will keep her mouth shut to try and be in her coach’s good graces, but watching others play will help neither her jump shot nor her crossover dribble.

Student-athletes deserve to have the opportunity to be better; if these are taken away, isn’t that compromising the student athlete?