Children’s Miracle Network State-a-Thon

Brittany Westerberg

Brittany Westerberg

About 150 students participated in the SDSU Children’s Miracle Network State-a-Thon on March 1 in the Volstorff Ballroom.

The State-a-Thon went from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. It is an annual 12-hour event that is held by colleges across the country to raise money for CMN.

The University Program Council has been hosting this event for seven years, according to the Web site http://www.kidsmiracles.org/cmnstateathon. “100 percent of the money raised goes directly to our local CMN hospital, Sanford Children’s Hospital in Sioux Falls, to help fund special equipment, lodging for families and much more,” it said.

The goal this year was to raise $40,000; according to Kristen Blasius, chairperson for the State-a-Thon, they have raised about $25,000 so far, though checks are still coming in and will probably continue to do so for the rest of the month.

Students who participated dressed up like Disney characters and superheroes (this year’s theme), including Belle, Prince Charming, The Flash, Fiona from Shrek and Batman and entertained the 11 CMN families who came to the event. While participating in different activities during the day, including learning the dance to “We’re All in This Together” from High School Musical, the students learned about the different families’ stories of how CMN has helped them in their struggles.

“How does CMN help families?” Denise Mammenga, one of the mothers at the event, said. “I can’t tell you how enough. ? It’s a great, wonderful organization. ? There are so many young people involved.”

“It’s a great thing,” Adam Karnopp, assistant director for student activities and orientation, said. “It’s kind of a hard sell because we have to get people to volunteer 12 hours,” but it is worth it, he said.

“It’s really wonderful to see you participate in stuff like this,” Mary Jo Boner, another mother at the State-a-Thon, said. “When I was in college here, this was one of the last things on my mind.”

“Thanks for coming to dance,” her son, Spencer – who had a tumor found around his brainstem and underwent several hours of surgery all before the age of four – said.