SDSU ‘Field of Dreams’ lacks a few key features

Ariy-El Boynton

Ariy-El Boynton

If you go to the north side of the campus and look closely at the Erg Heuther Field and the Jackrabbit softball field, there are some pieces missing.

“It’s a work in progress,” said Fred Oien, SDSU’s director of athletics.

Among the difficulties is a lack of significant funds from any organization.

“There are no state fees, student fees to help out with funding. You take baby steps to get seats and other ammenities,” said Oien.

While the baseball field is playable, there are some lines missing around the diamond, and there are no stands.

Students’ Association president, Chris Daugaard, summed up the situation.

“It’s playable, obviously there’s one thing missing, the stands. Although I have heard nothing bad about the fields on campus, with teams playing out in Sioux Falls or in the middle of the town, it’s hard for the student body and the community to back them,” he said.

Eric Hanson, SA vice president, feels the same way.

“It’s great for both teams to be on campus. It really showcases two sports which are not given a lot of recognition, but they work just as hard as any team at SDSU,” he said. “Not only are home games there, but they are able to practice on a state-of-the-art field, also.”

So far, the baseball teams have gone 2-0 at home, including a 22-3 drubbing of Division III Presentation College on April 15.

It didn’t take long for the Jacks to christen the new stadium. Senior Tyson Fisher hit a two-run single before senior Craig Parry blasted a three-run homer and the Jacks never looked back. Parry finished the game 3-4 with two home runs and a grand-slam.

The Jacks scored more runs in the game against Presentation, 22, than they did in the four-game series against Southern Utah from April 17 to 20.

The Jacks followed up that win by beating the Dakota Wesleyan Tigers 12-2 in seven innings to improve to 16-19.

Billy Stitz – a freshman from Burnsville, Minn. – hit a home run, and Parry – a senior from Colstrip, Mont. – had two shots over the wall as SDSU had more runs (12) than hits (10).

Christian Larson pitched four solid innings to earn his first victory of the season (1-3). The senior right-hander allowed two runs while scattering three hits.

The Jacks followed that up with their first victory against the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in the Birdcage at Sioux Falls for their third home victory in three days.

The Jacks were scheduled to play a four-game, two-day series with Western Illinois last weekend; it was cancelled due to inclement weather.

The Jackrabbits’ softball team was supposed to play a double-header against the University of Missouri-Kansas City, but it was cancelled due to weather as well.

On April 28, SDSU played two softball games in Sioux Falls. The first game of the doubleheader was a Jackrabbit home win 4-1, but the Bison got the best of the Jackrabbits 7-0 in the last game of the day.

Even though the fields are not the greatest and the weather is not always the best, the student body and school officials are pleased to have the teams back on campus.

“It’s good to have them back on campus where they belong,” said Oien.