Celebration whips student spirit ‘into shape’

Ruth Brown

Ruth Brown

Homecoming Hobo Week is here, so get ready to cheer on the Jackrabbits as the community, faculty, students and alumni gear up to continue the 97-year tradition.

Hobo Week festivities began Monday and continue through Saturday’s football game against McNeese State. The following is a list of remaining Hobo Week events.

Wednesday, Oct. 1, the members of Greek Life are performing a spirit skit in The Union Market for students to enjoy, followed by the Bum Olympics in the evening.

At 8 p.m., the Olympics will be held at The Union in the Volstorff Ballroom. The event consists of groups such as the Greeks, the residence halls and other campus organizations that enter and compete against each other in different relay races and games.

Thursday, Oct. 2, is Hobo Week themed dress-up day. This year’s theme is Hobos Get Physical. At noon, Residential Life will perform its spirit skit in The Union Market.

At 8 p.m., there will be a Hobo Week bonfire for students in the backyard, northwest of the tailgating area. Some athletes will come and speak at the event, SDSU’s Pride of the Dakotas marching band brass-line will perform and State Tech will be there to play music for the crowd. SDSU cheerleaders and possibly the dance team will be there as well to get students excited for homecoming, said Bethany Wuttke, this year’s Grand Pooba.

The hairiest beard and costume contest will be judged at the bonfire as well. There are only three takers that entered this year though, said Wuttke.

Friday, Oct. 3, is blue and yellow day and hobo button day. Buttons may be purchased in the University Program Council office in The Union for $1.

Cavorts will be held Friday at 8 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Cavorts is a student talent show that students auditioned for back on Sept. 17. It will include everything from singers to comedians. The first place winner will receive $300 and second place receives $200.

“It’s a really well-attended event,” said Wuttke. “Everyone usually loves it.”

Saturday, Oct. 4, is Hobo Day, and the Prairie Striders Running Club is starting the day off with a 5K race. The Hobo Day 5K will begin and end at the corner of Sixth Street and Medary Avenue, near Taco John’s. The runners’ course will go throughout campus.

Registration for the race is $13 if sent in by Oct. 2 to Steve Britzman at 521 6th St. Suite 104., Brookings, S.D. 57006. The registration form can be found on the Prairie Striders’ Web site at http://www.prairiestriders.net. Registration on the day of the race is $15 in the Taco John’s parking lot.

All participants in the race will receive a 2008 commemorative Hobo Day Run mug. All of the proceeds from the race go to benefit the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.

The Hobo Day Parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, starting at Medary Avenue and ending at the corner of Third Street and Fifth Avenue. Entries for the parade are due on by Oct. 1, and it is open to all student organizations. Local businesses are allowed to do a $50 sponsorship for floats if they wish. Businesses who sponsor floats are allowed to have a 2-foot by 2-foot advertisement on both sides of the float they sponsor.

“The parade is really a celebration of SDSU, so we only allow student organizations in the parade,” said Wuttke. “But if a business wants to sponsor, then that is a way for them to get their name in the parade.”

“I might go to the parade; it’s always interesting to see all the different groups on campus,” said Frehiwot Werede, a senior nursing, global studies and French major.

There will also be a tailgating barbeque at 11 a.m. on Oct. 4, followed by the 2 p.m. football game against McNeese State.

“I’m probably planning on going to the football game and maybe the parade,” said Chris Harvey a sophomore manufacturing engineering major. “Hobo Days is always fun.”

“I really can’t just pick one event as my favorite,” said Wuttke, a senior human development and family studies major. “Each event has its own thing that makes it cool and special, so honestly, I just like all of Hobo Days in general.”

#1.882434:4156401900.jpg:HD (08) Button – Effects.jpg::