Freshman lands leading roles before classes start

Liz Bos

Liz Bos

Michael Heuer is starting off his SDSU career with a bang. Heuer, who is in his first semester at SDSU, plays the role of Eddie in Blood Brothers.

Heuer said that while his role in Blood Brothers was completely new, he went in with the hope that it would turn out well.

“I just really wanted to be a part of it,” Heuer said.

Heuer first began working with people from SDSU when he was involved with the Prairie Repertory Theatre last summer. He played Albert Soady, Jr., in Escanaba in Love and also played Gideon, the youngest brother, in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Heuer, a freshman theatre speech communications major who grew up in Watertown, started out at Augustana College before deciding to transfer to SDSU this spring.

“It felt more like a family here,” Heuer said. “Augustana didn’t have that appeal.”

He has been doing theater since he was a freshman in high school and also attended the PRT camp when he was a junior in high school.

“I wanted to do theater ? because I was getting paid to do something I liked,” Heuer said.

Blood Brothers is the 17th play Heuer has been involved in, but he named his role in Escanaba in Love as one of his favorite roles to date.

“Having J.D. [Ackman] play my father was pretty intense,” Heuer said.

After graduating from SDSU, Heuer plans to attend graduate school and keep doing (non-musical) theater, possibly someplace like Minneapolis that is not too far from home.