New year brings fresh start, wealth of student activities

Matt Tollefson

Matt Tollefson

On behalf of the SDSU Students’ Association welcome back! If you are incoming freshmen, welcome to SDSU and the Jackrabbit family. From the sounds of it, 2009-2010 is one that will be remembered forever.

With all of the ongoing construction and new and developing projects, what an exciting time it is to be a Jackrabbit. The new residence hall will quickly be out of the ground and The Union Dining Expansion project will soon be breaking ground. With the Avera Health and Science Center, Dykhouse Center, and all of the classroom and laboratory remodeling going on and finishing up, it’s easy to see that SDSU is serious about student success.

This fall really dig into all SDSU has to offer. Try your hand with one of our intramural sports. Go watch Prairie Repertory Theatre as they bring their hit production Godspell back for two more showings. Join the Pride of the Dakotas. Get some friends together and go climb the Campanile. Or maybe your perfect Saturday will be spent in the Backyard tailgating and then cheering the Jacks to win at Coughlin Alumni Stadium. We truly do have something for everyone; now it’s up to you to go and find it.

Now some of you may be asking what the Student Association is up to this year. Well, for starters we are working on creating an SDSU student discount club that will allow you to show your student ID around town and receive a discount off of your purchases. We are also continuing to work on bike lanes and bike sharing. If you have any ideas about how we can make SDSU a better university, please let myself or one of your senators know. To find out who your senators are, visit our Web site at www.sdstatesa.com. As always, we offer free legal aid. If you would like to schedule an appointment with our legal aide Kelly, you can call us at (605) 688-5181.

Once again, have a great year. This year,our number one goal as a senate is to communicate with the student body more. Listen for us on KSDJ and look for our stories in The Collegian. I’ll see you at one of the thousands of activities that will be going on this fall!

Contact Tollefson at (605) 688-5181 or the SA Web site www.sdstatesa.com.