Job fair provides opportunities for students

Shelbie Kinsey

Shelbie Kinsey

Every year, SDSU is filled with new opportunities, activities, friends and possibly a new job or volunteer position. Students pursuing the last two of those can start their search at the SDSU Part-Time Job Fair.

Students can stop by the Volstorff Ballroom on Sept. 16 to browse booths and tables from more than 20 businesses and volunteer groups seeking part-time help from college students. Representatives will also be present to answer questions about their business or organization.

Susan Fredrikson, with the College of General Studies, encourages upperclassmen to explore the internship opportunities at the fair, especially human services majors. Many employers are seeking a broad range of skills and availability, so there is really something for everyone, she said.

“There is a tight job market right now, but it is wise to network with employers about future openings and internships; it helps to get to know them personally to gain exposure,” she said.

A few groups that have signed up to have an information table are: The Boys and Girls Club, Brookings Art Council, after-school organizations and health care and financial organizations.

In addition to information about local jobs, there will be a prize of a $75 gift certificate to the University Bookstore and SDSU ice cream.

“I think I will go to check it out even though I am not really looking for a job right now,” said Ross Effling, a freshman computer science major from Clear Lake, S.D. “I think being successful in a career means having good contacts, and I also think it will help to get to know the area since I am new around here.”

Lisa Martinson, a fifth-year senior from Lake Benton, Minn., said the job fair would give students a great opportunity for networking and figuring out the job market on and off campus. Martinson has worked as a dietary aid for United Retirement Center, a coach at Destination Imagination and as a community assistant throughout her college career.

“Working part-time has given me excellent and useful experience in working with different populations and settings,” she said. “It has made me a more flexible and well-rounded person which I feel is vital in today’s job market.”

If You Go ?

What: SDSU Part-Time Job FairWhere: Volstorff BallroomWhen: September 16 Cost: No Charge

#1.881549:314004414.jpg:jobfair.1.jpg:Searching for a job? One place to start is the part-time job fair that will be held on campus.:Twyla Meyer