Jacks overcome weather

Dustin Veurink

Dustin Veurink

Limited runners participated in the Graphic Edge Alumni Invite in Vermillion on Jan. 23 due to weather.

The SDSU track and field team didn’t travel to Vermillion for the meet due to the weather conditions. Members of the team that were already in the area competed. Among those runners was freshman Chris Hubbs who won the 60-meter hurdles in 8.91 seconds. Freshman Jared Ailts also won the 800-meter run in 1 minute, 58.10 seconds. Head coach Rod Dehaven was pleased with Ailts’s performance.

Sophomores Eddie Stenger and Lars Mattison placed second and third in the 1,000-meter run with times of 2:38.16 and 2:44.27.

The women swept the 1,000-meter run. Senior Joni Strom placed first with a time of 3:12.11. Tera Potts and Jessica Ludvik had times of 3:15.25 and 3:26.80.

Nicole Davis placed second in the mile run with a time of 5:15.61. Kelsey Aune placed third in the mile with a time 5:23.84. Freshman Krista Creager placed second in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:23.74. DeHaven was also pleased with the performance of Creager.

DeHaven was satisfied with the performance of the team despite this being the first meet for some.

The men’s and women’s teams will be in Ames, Iowa next week for the Bill Bergan Invitational on Jan. 30.