SDSU to host Republic of Turkey food and film

The Turkey Semester at SDSU is already in motion this fall with events aimed to bring greater understanding of the Republic of Turkey.

At 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 6, Bruce Kraig, emeritus professor at Roosevelt University in Chicago will give a public lecture on “The World’s Oldest Fusion Cuisine: A Brief History of Food in Turkey.” His talk will take place in The Union in Walder Room 229.

The following evening, Thursday, Oct. 7, a culinary and film viewing effort will start in The Union and conclude across campus in the Northern Plains Biostress Lab.

Kraig, his wife, Jan Thompson of Southern Illinois University and Jeff Heinle, SDSU Student Film Society advisor, will collaborate to share Turkish cuisine and a documentary film, Hidden Turkey.

The 5:30 p.m., $15 reception features a variety of Turkish food, until 6:45 p.m. Thursday in The Union, room 169.

Following the food and talk at 7 p.m. in Northern Plains Biostress, room 103, a one-hour documentary film and discussion will take the Turkish experience further.

Turkey Semester is the first theme semester coordinated by SDSU’s Office of International Affairs and the South Dakota World Affairs Council. The office plans to highlight a different country every year for students and the broader community.

The Office of International Affairs can be reached for more information on the event and to purchase tickets at 605-688-4913.

#1.1654768:3491601466.jpg:The Turkey Semester at SDSU is already in motion this fall with events aimed to bring greater unders:The Turkey Semester at SDSU is already in motion this fall with events aimed to bring greater understanding of the Republic of Turkey. :NA