Big Money

Tony Gorder

Tony GorderEditor-in-Chief

SDSU broke state higher education fundraising records, acquiring more than $137.2 million in private gifts and pledges.

The money was raised since January 2007 as part of the SDSU Foundation’s “It Starts With State” campaign.

“You can be proud of the campaign’s progress today,” SDSU President David Chicoine said at the Oct. 21 announcement. “You can be proud of your university.”

But that wasn’t the only big announcement at the extravagant event held in The Union, which featured the Jackrabbit mascot, SDSU cheerleaders and performances by The Pride of the Dakotas drum line and brass line. The university also announced the final 2012 goal of the campaign: $200 million, to which the crowd erupted with a thunderous standing ovation.

“In true South Dakota State University fashion, we are setting our sights even higher,” Dana Dykhouse, campaign co-chair and SDSU alumnus, said before the final goal was revealed by students holding up number signs. “Frankly, it’s in our Jackrabbit DNA to strive to be the best, to confront challenges head on, to be the trailblazer.”

Over 18,300 donors gave 65,181 gifts towards the campaign, the funds of which will go toward five areas of need or opportunity. Those areas are faculty strengthening, scholarships and fellowships for students, new and revitalized facilities, athletics, and funds of excellence, which include funds for museums, student clubs, student success, visiting artists and scholars, and lecture series.

“For all of our successes, we recognize that our work is far from over and we are excited about the opportunities that lie ahead,” Dykhouse said. “It starts with me. It starts with you. It starts with State.”

The campaign, which Dykhouse co-chaired with Jerry Lohr and Al Kurtenbach, is SDSU’s second comprehensive fundraising effort. The first was the “Visions for The Future” campaign, which raised $52 million from 1994 to 1998 8212; surpassing the $50 million goal.

#1.1730937:3809493625.png:Announcement3Ryan-Robinson.png::Collegian Photo by Ryan Robinson