High school honor concert, jazz musicians to gather at SDSU

South Dakota State University will host the 14th annual East Central Honor Band for high school students on Monday, Dec. 6, at the Performing Arts Center on campus.

Student musicians from 17 area schools who auditioned for the South Dakota All-State Band or the All-State Jazz Band will gather for an all-day rehearsal.

A free performance at 7 p.m. by the ECHB Concert Band and the ECHB Jazz Ensemble will round out a full day of practice under the direction of noted university conductors.

Richard Good, director of bands at Auburn University in Auburn, Ala., will conduct the concert band. Under Good’s leadership, the Auburn 375-member band has received national recognition for its performances including selection as one of the top 10 marching bands in the country in the LSU Hall of Fame Museum. In addition to directing university bands and teaching conducting at Auburn, he serves as an adjudicator throughout the U.S., Mexico, Caribbean and Europe evaluating group performances.

Assistant Professor Nathan Jorgenson will direct the jazz ensemble. Jorgenson has been part of the SDSU music faculty since 2006 directing jazz ensembles and teaching saxophone on campus. He also performs as a jazz musician around the country.

#1.1814426:745879107.png:Rick-Good-tiny.png:Richard Good, Director of Bands Auburn (Ala.) University:Submitted Photo