A Message from the Students’ Association

The Students’ Association

On March 1, 2011, Students from South Dakota State University will participate in Students for Higher Education Day II (SHED) and travel to the state capitol in Pierre to voice concerns over the budgetary cuts of $17.5 million to the South Dakota higher education system.

During this day-long event, over 150 students from the six state institutions will voice their concern to local and statewide legislators. The day will begin by leaving South Dakota State at 9 a.m. and will arrive back in Brookings around 7 p.m.

Over the last 10 years, higher education has decreased in state funding from 58 percent to 38 percent if cuts are made this year. Within the past three years alone, Higher education has been cut 15 percent. Students feel it is time to stop suffering cuts and want legislators to start valuing education and the future of South Dakota.

If higher education is cut again this year by 10 percent, teachers may be cut, the quality of education may be compromised, and tuition increases are likely.

If students from South Dakota State University want to get involved and become an active voice to the policy makers in Pierre, they should stop by the Students’ Association table in the union on February 23-25 from 10 a.m. &- 2 p.m. Transportation will be provided, and the trip will be a university excused absence.