VeoRide contract with SDSU gets complicated

After a snag in contract talks, the debut of VeoRide in Brookings will be delayed.

Vice President Spencer Harwood stated the deal with bike-share program, VeoRide has hit a snag. There are a few contract issues the university needs to negotiate before the deal is finalized.

VeoRide insisted that the university extended their contract to three years and requested that they would be the only ride-sharing company in Brookings, an incentive SA intentionally left off the past contract.

“Hopefully that works out,” Harwood said. “But, it’s starting to look like there will be snow on the ground before we get that signed.”

Freedom of speech and two approved club constitutions highlighted the agenda for the Sept. 24 Students’ Association meeting.

SA adviser and Vice President of Student Affairs Michaela Willis spoke about freedom of speech on college campuses. The talk contained four key areas: what free speech is, student activism, the current climate of national and state trends and the issue of the time, place and manner of that speech.

Willis expressed concern about bringing speakers to campus. Some of those concerns were safety risks, like who would pay for security and the campus climate. She also touched on the South Dakota Board of Regents policy 6:13, which details the use of facilities by private parties.

It was also announced during Willis’ presentation there will be upcoming legislation activity on free speech. The legislature will take action on the issue and BOR will be reviewing their policies, which will impact SDSU’s policies.

“Just because we don’t like what they are saying, doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to say it,” Willis said.

During the meeting, two new club constitutions were approved.

Swing dancing happens every Monday night at the Wellness Center. Because there has been an increase in attendance, the group decided to officially become a student organization.

Digital Creator’s Club focuses on digital collaboration among students. The vision for the club is to bring people together to create digital content with photography and videography.

There was an update on the General Activity Fee Steering Committee that’s currently working on an environmental scan of other universities similar to SDSU.

“It’s been a lot of fun, it’s been an Easter egg hunt,” President Allyson Monson said.

The SA will meet again next at 7 p.m., Monday, Oct. 1 in the Lewis and Clark Room in the upstairs of the Student Union.