Mother nature rains on 2018 season opener

MIRANDA+SAMPSON
MIRANDA SAMPSON

It was just over four minutes that South Dakota State played against Iowa State in Jack Trice Stadium Saturday.

On their first and only drive, the Jacks ran just five plays for 14 total yards.

The Iowa State offense took the field for just one drive and it was telling.

The Jacks’ defense had the Cyclones right where they wanted them; third down and 12 yards to go, but quarterback Kyle Kempt found Hakeem Butler down the middle of the field for a 21-yard gain. After the first down, the Cyclones scored a 55-yard touchdown when Kempt found Deshaunte Jones.

That drive from the Cyclones needed an answer and it would get one. Just not from the Jacks.

Instead, mother nature answered the call and started to rain on the crowd in Jack Trice Stadium. Lightning was seen in the area and officials decided to delay the game. After two hours 41 minutes officials called the game.

According to SDSU Athletic Director Justin Sell, since the game started SDSU will receive its $425,000 guarantee. There were only four minutes and five seconds played in the game.

The game could be made up, but it won’t be on Sunday due to the Cyclones preparing for their showdown with in-state rival the Iowa Hawkeyes. It could be on their bye-weeks but doesn’t seem likely as both teams do not have common bye-weeks.

A logistic option for the two teams could be if SDSU doesn’t make the FCS Playoffs and Iowa State needs a win to become bowl-eligible. Then, the Jacks could make the trip to Ames again.