5 meals under $5

One of the toughest things about college is budgeting. More specifically, budgeting out meals — especially when you may no longer have a meal plan. If you are anything like me, you never paid attention to how much food cost when you were on a prepaid meal plan. However, now that I do not have one of those, I find myself thinking twice about whether I really need Chick-fil-A lemonade. So, I did some research and found meals on campus that are under or about $5 that hopefully will not break the bank.

Einstein’s:

The most wallet friendly item to eat at Einstein’s is a bagel… or two. Although this might seem boring at first, they actually have a lot of options that range from sweet to salty, and the best part is that a single bagel only costs $1.29. You can also add some flavored (or plain) cream cheese for an additional $1.50, or peanut butter or jelly for an extra  $0.50. They also have two sandwich options that are $4.99 each; Turkey Club Thin and Thintastic Buffalo Chicken.

Grille Works:

There are some unique options that won’t cost an arm and a leg at Grille Works. One option, for only $4.79, is the Southwest Garden Burger with a turkey patty. Not only is this sandwich healthy, but it is one of the cheapest items on the menu. However, if you are looking for a lighter lunch, Grille Works also has you covered with their grilled cheese sandwich for only $2.99, and if you add a medium fountain drink for $2.09, you can have a full lunch for just $5.08.

Chick-fil-A:

While Chick-fil-A has wrap, salad and chicken nugget options, those items tend to be a little pricey. However, their original Chick-fil-A sandwich is only $3.65, which is a steal of a deal. You can get the sandwich either crispy or grilled at no extra cost and if you add a side of $1.89 waffle fries, the total will be just $5.54. The popular restaurant also has numerous dipping sauces that range from buffalo sauce to their sweet Chick-fil-A sauce.  

Papa John’s:

There is hardly anything people — especially college kids — like more than pizza and a good price. Thankfully, Papa John’s checks both of those boxes. The personal sized cheese and pepperoni pizzas are $5.19 each, which makes them a great option when the budget is tight. As a bonus, they are almost always already made when you order, so it is also one of the fastest options on campus.

Erbert & Gerbert:

Both the Larson Commons and Hansen Hall locations have several items that are budget friendly. The most cost effective being their soup bowls, which are $4.59. There are two different soups available each day, for example chicken dumpling and broccoli cheddar. Erbert & Gerbert is probably most commonly known for their large sandwich selection and their prices vary a few of the cheaper options are the Bornk, Tappy, Comet Morehouse and Boney Billy for just $5.29.

*Disclaimer: these are all based on prices before tax