New Students’ Association body excited to serve, engage

Ally Monson SA President

As everything else on campus comes to close, one organization begins.

Students’ Association just elected a new senate for the upcoming academic year. With fresh perspective and insight, each senator has already proven to be dedicated and committed to SDSU and the students they serve.

This new perspective was evident in the last two meetings of the 2018 spring semester where the 2018 Senate brainstormed for the new General Activity Fee Strategic Plan and compiled recommendations to submit to the GAF Strategic Plan Steering Committee. Each senator thought outside the box, pitching their wildest dreams for SDSU, while also making recommendations to improve the current offerings on campus.

Each senator set three goals for his or her term, and I have full faith many of these goals will be accomplished. The individuals around the table this year practice stewardship and maintain a students-first philosophy. Demonstrated in our first two meetings, these students put on the hat of their constituents and are ready to tackle the challenges that await. The student body is fortunate to have an eager group of senators dedicated to service.

With this eagerness and creativity displayed by our new senators, I want to also stress the role the rest of the student body plays this upcoming year. It is important we work together — as students and as SA — to achieve our vision.

Your thoughts, concerns and recommendations fuel senators to create the change you wish to see. I encourage each of you to interact with your college’s and our at-large senators. They are your voice — utilize their connections and ability to compose legislation to put your thoughts into action.

The first step can be as easy as stopping by the SA office, located right next to the Center for Student Engagement. Enjoy our comfy couch, coffee and puzzles as you hold great conversation with your representatives. Talk about life or change you would like to see on campus — whatever the conversation brings, we are just happy to see you.

Finally, I want to articulate to you how honored I am to serve as your president for the upcoming academic year. I look forward to what we can accomplish together. Never has this office been about an individual. Rather, this position is about demonstrating moral and ethical courage to represent a whole student body.

In the coming year, I want to share the vision of SDSU with you and make our wildest dreams realities. Let us find success in our passions and work collaboratively with one another. I look forward to this year and serving you all. GO JACKS!

Allyson Monson is the SDSU Students’ Association President and can be reached at [email protected].