Senate creates student support system task force, responds to BSA

Several students in the Black Student Alliance (BSA) presented concerns regarding Students’ Association’s support for minorities at Monday’s meeting.

BSA president Amanda John referenced a photo that circulated on Twitter of a past SDSU student in blackface dressed as Colin Kaepernick. In response, John said BSA members would like to see more support from SA. The students from BSA also expressed they would like to see senators present at more of their meetings and events.

Programming and Public Relations Chair Alex Farber said many SA members are involved on campus, but try to do as much as they can to support student organizations.

“Your concerns as BSA show that we aren’t communicating our values at SA well because we do support your student organization,” Sen. Nick Lorang said.

Senators discussed solutions to this problem and planned to form a student support system task force, which will address student concerns.

During open forum, Chief University Librarian Kristi Tornquist presented on the Briggs Library renovation. One update they hope to make soon is adding a 24-hour access to the Writing Center next summer.

Also, there are plans to fix the entrance because many people with disabilities can’t enter the library due to the slope of the entrance, Tornquist said. One donor is also providing funds to fix the clocks.

In new business, Resolution 17-06-R showing SA’s support for diversity and inclusion was tabled indefinitely and reintroduced as Ordinance 17-01-O, which will be discussed in the future.

Additionally, Senators approved the constitution for the College Diabetes Network.

The next SA meeting will be at 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6, in the Lewis and Clark room of The Union.